This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works
Brockman, John
Cover image
List Price: $15.99
Our Price: $14.39 or 17,270₩
You save: $1.60 (10% off)
Total delivery time: within 10 business days

Format: Paperback, 411pp.
Date of publication: Jan 22 2013
Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN-13: 9780062230171
Dimensions: 20.40 cm. (length) X 13.67 cm. (width) X 2.59 cm. (thickness)
Weight: 313 grams
Reviews from Goodreads.com
By William (Grinnell, IA) — 1 of 5 stars — Apr 07, 13
Mish mash of diversity of various author's mini-essays on theories to explain various aspects of the world.

Lots of duplication. Sometimes an essay did not seem to answer the question (but rather talked about the question) or their favorite theory was not explained adequately.

After about the 20th... …more
By Susan (Murfreesboro, TN) — 4 of 5 stars — Jan 13, 13
Accolades to This Explains Everything, which collects short essays on such topics as astronomy, biological electricity, metabolic syndrome, monogamy, decision-making, mediocrity, language, mathematics, sociology, and death.
The contributors—from Alan Alda to esteemed physicists to sociologists to... …more
By Greg (Austin, TX) — 2 of 5 stars — Mar 09, 13
I bought this book because I love learning about what we used to think about things that we now know are wrong. (see: "carrots help you see well in the dark") This book is not about that. (in my defense, I was in a hurry and needed new books while I was in India) The format of the book was a bit... …more
By Ann (Auckland, E7, New Zealand) — 5 of 5 stars — May 22, 13
One reviewer said this book is like 100 TED TV presentations and I would agree. John Brockman asked scholars and intellectuals to respond to his question "What is your favorite deep, elegant, or beautiful explanation?"

Well hands down Darwin's natural selection was the most often sited. But the se... …more
By Steve (The United States) — 3 of 5 stars — Apr 12, 13
Something here for everyone but much that will not match the interests of many. A real patchwork quilt of ideas.
By Ryan (The United States) — 3 of 5 stars — May 26, 13
Lots of great content! The format isn't ideal, though. The essays are only a couple pages each or so, so you bounce between ideas a bit too fast. Still good in small doses though.
By Jose (Mexico, 09, Mexico) — 4 of 5 stars — May 01, 13
Un buen libro para ponerse al corriente de avances en distintas ramas de las ciencias. El nivel de los aportaciones es un tanto desigual y demasiado sesgado al mundo anglosajón.
By Carina5 of 5 stars — Feb 26, 13
This book was very interesting. It had very interesting topics and I'm glad that I had a chance to read this book. I'm glad that it had all the answers to the topics, because the titles didn't make sense at first.
I hope you like my review!!!
By Angel (Mexico) — 4 of 5 stars — May 22, 13
Consiste en una colección de breves ensayos sobre diversos aspectos de la realidad. Explicaciones desde la física, química, biología, economía, psicología, etc forman parte de un libro para mantenerse actualizado y descubrir cosas nuevas sobre... ¡TODO!
By Kevin (Bronx, NY) — 2 of 5 stars — Mar 08, 13
If you like math and physics this book is for you. If you're like me; someone with a strong allergy to math, skip it.